- Demandes du public
- Admission à la profession
- Pratique infirmière
- Formation continue
- Avantages aux membres
- Découvrir la profession
- Choisir sa formation
- Choisir la profession infirmière
- Choisir son milieu de pratique
- Parcours étudiant
- Infirmière formée hors Québec
- Retour à la profession
- L'OIIQ est là pour vous
- Aide financière
Preparing for the exam
The OIIQ provides some valuable tools
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions section for answers to the most common questions about the exam, its content, the procedure, etc.
- Get the Preparation Guide for the Professional Examination of the OIIQ (available at the OIIQ and at student co-ops in educational institutions offering nursing courses), which explains more about the examination and offers some practical tips on how to prepare for it.
- Watch the video of the presentation entitled Let's talk about the exam, giving a brief summary of the exam process.
- Familiarize yourself with the acts and regulations (in French only) governing the nursing profession.
New for the September 2017 professional examination : multiple-choice questions
Starting in September 2017, the OIIQ professional examination will feature a new question format: multiple-choice questions (MCQ), to be included among the open-ended, short-answer questions in the different situations on the exam.
Candidates’ examination preparation strategies remain similar, since this new question format does not change the knowledge and skills that the OIIQ wishes to evaluate in its professional examination. A new complementary document to the 4th edition of the Preparation Guide for the Professional Examination, with additional information, is available. It contains examples of open short-answer questions rewritten in the form of multiple-choice questions. Since these questions are taken from the Guide, you should refer to it to consult the clinical situation to which each question pertains.
Other exam preparation strategies
- Contact your educational institution or your employer to find out whether there are exam preparation workshops available.
- Consolidate your knowledge and hone your clinical judgment. Consult your colleagues and draw on the experience of veteran nurses, asking them about the reasoning they applied to arrive at a specific clinical decision.
- Apply the stress management methods that helped you during your years of schooling.
- Plan your preparation for the professional examination using a realistic timetable.
- Consult the section on the exam procedure to make sure you have all the documents you need on the day of the exam.
Video presentation 2015
This presentation, given by Chantal Lemay of the Scientific Department of the OIIQ at the Order’s 2015 Convention, will introduce you to some winning strategies for preparing for the professional examination and answer some common questions on the exam procedure.
Other must-read links
- Notification and registration
- Examination day
- Cocktail after the exam
- Marking and communicating results
- Examination calendar
- Frequently Asked Questions - Professional examination