Pratique professionnelle

Nurse practitioners who earned their degrees outside Quebec

To practise in Quebec, specialized nurse practitioners (SNP) who obtained a diploma from an educational institution outside Quebec in a specialty recognized in Quebec (primary care, adult care, pediatric care, neonatalogy or mental health) must first become a member of the OIIQ and obtain a specialist certificate.

  1. If you are not yet a member of OIIQ, the first step is to be recognized by obtaining a nursing permit for Quebec.
    Consult the section Practising in Quebec to determine the process that applies in your situation.
  2. The second step is to be recognized as a NP
    You must apply for recognition of the equivalence of your diploma or training.

    First, determine if your diploma meets the equivalence criteria and follow the steps below if it does. If your diploma does not meet the criteria, determine if the training equivalence procedure applies to your situation and, if applicable, follow the corresponding steps.

  3. Apply for a diploma equivalence
    To be eligible for a diploma equivalence, you must have obtained one of the Canadian or American diplomas listed in Sections 3 and 4 of the Regulation [only available in French] within the past three years.
  4. Apply for a training equivalence
    If you do not meet the diploma equivalence criteria, you may apply to be granted a training equivalence.

    To be eligible for a training equivalence, you must hold a graduate degree in Nursing or a related field. You must also have completed a certain number of hours of clinical practice as a nurse or nurse practitioner prior to submitting your recognition of equivalence application.


Learn more